Ecomm Preloader
Powermints

Our Alternative to Sugar in Compass Mints – For healthy and long-lasting Sweetness

NEW BLOG (Blog-Banner)

Our Alternative to Sugar in Compass Mints – For healthy and long-lasting Sweetness

There are many reasons to avoid eating sugar. However, not all sugar substitutes are eminently healthier choices. For our Compass products, we carefully choose our ingredients. The same goes for the topic of sweeteners.

Why sugar-free?

Sugar and its various forms are carbohydrates that are mainly made from sugar cane or sugar beets. As we know, too much sugar can lead to tooth decay, obesity and following diseases such as diabetes or cardiovascular diseases. Now, what do we do if we want it sweet?

Common sugar substitutes and their disadvantages

The sweetener aspartame, which comes with the typical artificial sweetener taste, is widely used in the food industry. Studies have listed aspartame with negative effects which is why we do not use it in our lozenges. Acesulfame-K is another common sweetener, which is not being used in the production of baby food, because of the lack of information on the maximum intake. In addition, acesulfame-K is very expensive to produce and is therefore not a very ecological choice.

Which sweeteners we use for Compass Mints

Sucralose: With its pleasant level of sweetness, it can be combined well with other ingredients. Sucralose is made from sucrose, the common sugar. It tastes like sugar but is calorie-free and does not damage your teeth.

Xylitol: Formerly extracted mostly from birch trees, xylitol is now mainly obtained from corn and grain. This substance occurs naturally in many types of vegetables and fruits. Xylitol can promote dental health by reducing the growth of oral bacteria and can reduce acid-induced tooth decay.

Sorbitol: Sorbitol occurs naturally in stone fruits as well as dried fruits. No insulin is required to metabolize it and therefore sorbitol is often used in products for diabetics and in dietetic foods. Sorbitol can also have a beneficial effect on dental health, since oral bacteria can hardly absorb it and therefore do not break down it into acid that is harmful to the teeth.